Tuesday, January 5

Writing My Personal Statement

...makes me want to poke my eyes out. 




HOWEVER!  Here are the "tips" Dave gave us yesterday.  Bah.

Stuff to include:-
  • What type of work you're interested in.
  • The type of work you've been doing at college.  What skills do you have?  What software can you use? 
  • Put a link to your blog if it is relevant.  Hah!
  • What do you aspire to? AKA what job d'you want?  What's your focus?
  • Influences
  • Animation trips or general travel.
  • Why you're applying for a 3rd year or another course, and how you'll benefit their institution.
  • Keep it current **past 2 years**
  • Convince them that you aren't going to drop out.  Tell them about commitment-related stuff like jobs, time management etc.  Demonstrate that you can motivate yourself.

DO NOT:-
  • Write about pointless hobbies
  • Name-drop excessively or go on and on about someone else's work
  • Mention Manga or Anime.  (You are not Japanese.)

Gah.  It needs to be written and handed to Dave by the 11th... I wish I could just re-cycle my old one.

3 comments:

  1. Haha... the part of not mentioning anime made me laugh. I guess I can kiss the degree good bye then. I am surprised as you do not need to be japanese to like/love anime and manga plus if a person aspires to work with other japanese animators in the anime industry, then it would be pointless to do this degree with such a mindset as described above. I believe understanding 2d and 3d animation is important in it's various aspects, but ultimately if someone has aspirations to manage their own anime studio and work with other well-known studios (Studio Ghibli as an example), then who has the right to judge and say 'Do not mention Manga or Anime'.

    If a person aspires to work for a client that has no interest in anime, then sure, don't mention it... but if it is important to your work and life, then by all means...mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree, Lycanine. In the animation world, Anime is well known for its subpar animation and unoriginal design. Anime is a red flag for animation professionals and institutions. Especially for artists who carry the anime style, this communicates a lack originality and a weak artistic voice.

    ReplyDelete


#linkwithin_logolink_0 {display:none;}